Faculty Adoption Information
Course Material Requisition Options:
For further questions and more information:
To best meet the federal mandate of HEOA the maximum extent practicable, the NDSU Bookstore seeks assistance from North Dakota State University Faculty by requesting they provide course material order requisitions to the Bookstore in a timely manner. The date above, has been selected to assist our campus in complying with the HEOA requirements for providing course material transparency to North Dakota State University students. We understand that other factors such as hiring and designing your syllabus may extend your date of adoption.
There are two convenient ways to adopt your course material listed below, available on our website at http://www.ndsubookstore.com/facultyresources.
- Quick Adoption Form: this can be used for classes that you may not need continuing history.
- Faculty Login for Course Material Adoptions: this system is designed for the greatest accuracy, most detailed history and convenience for you as faculty. The Login option is strongly recommended.
Please see the PowerPoint titled, “Online Adoption” for further instructions or stop in for a walk through.
Phone orders and adoptions listed as “same as last time” will not be accepted.
We require book orders in written format.
TO AVOID CONFUSION
- If you’re not planning to use any course material for a course, please use the Quick Adoption Form, fill in the header and check the No Text Required box. This will save on follow-up questions regarding whether or not a course material order is still needed for your course.
- Include the ISBN, author, title, and edition of each of your course materials. If you would like a course/book listing from a previous semester, please contact, email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please use the four to five digit class number and course title for each title you order, not the 01, 02, etc section numbers.
- Please let the bookstore know if the course material is recommended or required. A required course material is one on which your students are graded. Recommended course material provides supplemental information and can serve as study aids. By differentiating between required or recommended, you can help your students make informed decisions on how they spend their course material dollars. While lowering excess freight costs for the Bookstore.
- Please be as specific as possible when you order course material bundles, value packages, books with CDs, and website code keys. Always include the bundle ISBN in your order!
- If you do not need the website code keys or other items often packaged with a new course material, please let the bookstore know, so we can try to save NDSU students money by including the course material on our buyback list and begin the process of sourcing additional used course material copies from used course material companies.
- Indicate if students will need a Turning Technology Response System, sometimes referred to as a "Clicker". If yes, please also indicate whether you would allow students to use the smartphone/laptop app version as well.
- Course Pack & Copyright Clearance service is offered in cooperation with Document Publishing on campus. We will arrange to print your course packs and get copyright clearance as necessary for copyrighted content that you wish to include in your course pack. Please submit a bibliography of items needing copyright clearance and allow six to eight weeks for multiple citations needing copyright clearance. Clean master copies will expedite processing and lower the costs of scanning material. Excess course packs will be returned and charged to your department or you. Please contact email@example.com for details and suggested quantities.
- Please note: the number submitted in the estimated enrollment field does not determine the quantity of books the bookstore will purchase for your courses. The bookstore calculates the quantity of books to provide on multiple factors, including prior year and previous semester’s sales history and market saturation levels per title.
- If you choose not to use a course material after we’ve ordered it from the publisher or bought back used copies from NDSU students, freight costs for ordering in and returning cancelled titles and the cost of any used books purchased during buyback will be charged to you or your department.
- For course material that will be used for consecutive semesters, please note were your course fits into the sequence, as our rental program only allows for single semester rentals. We are not able to guarantee a rental for the additional semester.
- Desk Copies must be requested directly from the publisher. We DO NOT buy back complimentary desk copies of textbooks from faculty. If a textbook has been adopted to use on campus and you want a copy for yourself, ask the publisher if they will provide you with a DESK copy. If you want to preview textbooks from different publishers in order to make an adoption decision, ask the publisher for an EXAMINATION or REVIEW copy.
** If you need a copy of the book from the NDSU Bookstore before your desk copy comes in, we will charge your department for the copy. Please charge books at the customer service counter at the front of the store. Books purchased new MUST be in the new saleable condition or it will only be refunded at 50%. Books purchased used will be refunded at the used price. Any questions on this process, please contact Alicia LaFerriere at the Textbook department at 231-9478 firstname.lastname@example.org
The Faculty Center Network is the resource for faculty to review college-level textbooks and make decisions about textbook adoptions. Browse items in hundreds of subject areas from thousands of publishers.
- Please consider students with accessibility needs when choosing course materials. The NDSU Bookstore works closely with Disability Services and the Division of Equity, Diversity and Global Outreach to meet the needs of all students. How you use the book in class is extremely important to students and to the bookstore in making buying decisions. Please note continuation/sequence classes so we do not over order.
- We would like to receive a copy of your syllabus. This will give us book usage information so we don't return your course materials too soon.
***If you wish the bookstore to stock specific supplies (goggles, calculators, art supplies, graphing paper, additional recommended reading lists, etc.), it is helpful if you contact the appropriate department manager and give him or her enough lead time to get the materials in. These materials can also be added to your online adoptions!